Welcome to DAMA Corner, a source of information for data management professionals here in TDAN, the industry leading publication for people interested in learning about data administration and datamanagement disciplines and best practices. Each column provides an update on the professional organization DAMA International, and an opportunity to share your experience with other professionalsthat are passionate about data!
Your interest and participation is greatly appreciated. If you are not a current member of DAMA, please read the following section to learn about others with the same interests that you have. But ifyou know us, please proceed on to the Update.
About DAMADAMA International is a not-for-profit, vendor-independent association of technical and business professionals dedicated to advancing theconcepts and practices for data resource management and enterprise information. The primary purpose of DAMA International is to promote the understanding, development and practice of managing dataand information to support business strategies. DAMA International has chapters and members throughout the world.
- DAMA membership provides you with a network of data management professionals who share ideas and solutions to some of the most difficult issues in data management.
- DAMA Chapters provide cost-effective and local ongoing training hours that can apply to re-certification requirements by the Institute for Computing Professionals for Certified Data Management Professional (CDMP) and Certified Business Intelligence Professional (CBIP) designations.
- Chapter members receive vendor and training discounts provided to DAMA International by selected vendors and publishers.
- Chapters may bulk purchase DAMA International products such as the DAMA Dictionary and the DAMA Data Management Body of Knowledge at discounted rates.
If you are interested in data, we want to meet you and help you grow in your chosen profession! To find a local DAMA chapter, go to the mainwebsite and select Chapter.
The DAMA Connection is a new program initiated in select cities and countries around the globe to further the data management profession It is a one-day seminarthat allows people to network with colleagues, enjoy two presentations, and learn more about the DAMA-DMBOK (Data Management Body of Knowledge).
Board Members of DAMA are on hand to help facilitate organizing a DAMA chapter if so desired, but attending the DAMA Connection will not obligate anyone to join. This is DAMA’s way offurthering data management by providing world-class speakers at a minimal cost to cities where no DAMA Chapter currently exists. The first of these meetings was held in Indianapolis on June 5featuring Anne Marie Smith speaking about the DMBOK and Peter Aiken speaking on “Solution Design Patterns.” After the meeting, 50 attendees decided to form a DAMA chapter named DAMAINDIANA. Congratulations to our newest chapter!!
The interest in The Guide to the Data Management Body of Knowledge exhibited by attendees at Enterprise Data World, has continued with both strong online sales through Amazon and individual chapter sales. If your chapter is interested in sellingdiscounted copies to chapter members, please contact our publisher, Technics Publications, to arrange bulk purchases. Chapters ordering 15 ormore copies will get a 40% discount for the copies if they are all delivered to the same location.
DAMA International is now an official external liaison to the ISO/IEC JTC1/SC 32, Data Management and Interchange Committee as confirmed by a resolution at the meeting in Jeju, Korea, in June. Theliaison representatives are Judith Newton, DAMA-I VP for Data Management Standards; and Keith Gordon, DAMA-UK.
Does your organization do business internationally? Here is your chance to attend Europe’s most authoritative and independent conference on data management, information quality and DW/BI heldin London on 2-4 November 2009. Now in its 11th year, these three co-located conferences offer unrivalled opportunity to learn from the industry’s leading figures and network with and learnfrom your international peers. This is a great time of year to visit London. The tourist season is over but the weather is still mild enough to walk to London’s historic sites from thecentrally located conference. DAMA members receive a 10% discount in addition to a group discount for 2 or more members from the same organization.
- Choose from 6 conference tracks and 12 pre-conference tutorials.
- Just some of the contributors include UBS, Standard Life, BP Oil, Oracle, Amazon, Novo Nordisk, Platon, Capgemini, Home Office, Remploy, British Airways, ABN Amro, MetLife, Detica and Energysys.
- Group booking discounts available for 2+ delegates.
- Just a few of the topics covered include cloud computing, data integration, data modeling, DW2.0, data quality, MDM, data governance, unstructured data, data warehousing life cycle management, open source, data categorization, metadata, information quality, information stewardship, business intelligence, social networking and many more.
Please share! Comments and suggestions are welcome! Give us feedback by selecting this link: DAMA Comments.