Welcome to DAMA Corner, a source of information for data management professionals here in TDAN.com, the industry leading publication for people interested in learning about data administration and data management disciplines and best practices. Each column provides an update on the professional organization DAMA International, and an opportunity to share your experience with other professionals that are passionate about data!
Your interest and participation is greatly appreciated. If you are not a current member of DAMA, please read the following section to learn about others with the same interests that you have. But if you know us, please proceed on to the Update.
DAMA International is a not-for-profit, vendor independent association of technical and business professionals dedicated to advancing the concepts and practices for data resource management and enterprise information. The primary purpose of DAMA International is to promote the understanding, development and practice of managing data and information to support business strategies. DAMA International has chapters and members throughout the world.
- DAMA membership provides you with a network of data management professionals who share ideas and solutions to some of the most difficult issues in data management.
- DAMA Chapters provide cost-effective and local on-going training hours that can apply to re-certification requirements by the Institute for Computing Professionals for Certified Data Management Professional (CDMP) and Certified Business Intelligence Professional (CBIP) designations.
- Chapter members receive vendor and training discounts provided to DAMA International by selected vendors and publishers.
- Chapters may bulk purchase DAMA International products such as the DAMA Dictionary and the DAMA Data Management Body of Knowledge at discounted rates.
If you are interested in data management, we want to meet you and help you grow in your chosen profession! To find a local DAMA chapter, go to the main website at www.dama.org and select Chapter.
In 2010, our reach has broadened into new countries, with the opening of chapters in Brazil and Japan. We have expanded our presence in Canada through the new Ottawa chapter, as well as in the United States through chapters in South Florida and St. Louis (which is re-forming).
The DAMA International LinkedIn DAMA International Group has expanded this year, and is hosting very interesting conversations on such topics as “Single Version of the Truth” and “Data as an Asset”. Our job boards on LinkedIn and www.dama.org have seen a significant increase in postings through the year.
The Certified Data Management Professional (CDMP) exams were realigned to the DAMA-DMBOK in 2010. We are beginning to see the CDMP listed as a preference in job postings. This certification enables members to provide evidence of your capabilities and the professional nature of your knowledge, distinguishing you from the crowd and raise your resume above others.
Moving into the 2011, the volunteers on the Board of Directors of DAMA International are focusing on three main goals to support our local chapters and DAMA members:
- DAMA Direct – simplifying the creation of new chapters, reducing the administrative overhead burden on local chapters, initially in the United States.
- Expanding the CDMP into the area of Data Governance and the DAMA Dictionary to address new terms from the DAMA-DMBOK development.
- Updating our image through evolving our website to enable collaboration and knowledge building across our members and other data professionals with increasing availability of members only content and functionality
You are part of an amazing volunteer organization, contributing time and knowledge to improve the state of the data management profession. From the Board of Directors at the international level, to the local chapter boards, to the individual members – we all volunteer our time. We reinvest the affiliation fees from chapters, the revenue from the DAMA-DMBOK and events such as Enterprise Data World and the IRM-UK conference to support efforts to elevate, empower, and enable data management professionals.
Volunteer and share!
You will get back much more than you give; you will develop a network of professional friendships that span continents and industries.
- Spread the word about our community – to your business and IT colleagues. Talk up local chapter meetings as well as Enterprise Data World. Participate in LinkedIn discussions.
- Become more active in your local chapter or start a local chapter if you don’t have one. Contact VP_Chapter_Services@DAMA.org to find out the options and support available in your country to start one. Start a local chapter if you don’t have one.
DAMA International Board Elections
VP of Marketing—Lisa Nelson ( USA, Chicago)
VP of Industry Services—Diby Malakar (USA, San Francisco)
VP of Conference Services—Cathy Nolan (USA, Chicago)
VP of Chapter Services—Dagna Gaythorpe (United Kingdom)
VP of Communications—Loretta Mahon Smith (USA, National Capital Region (DC))
VP Operations—Sue Guenes (South Africa)
Details for the election process and descriptions of the board positions are available at Elections to the Board of Directors. Every chapter should look for the upcoming notices including candidates that have been put forward for the offices.
Individual Achievement Awards
DAMA International will be announcing DAMA Individual Achievement Awards for 2011 at the 2011 Enterprise Data World conference, scheduled for Chicago, Illinois, April 3-7. Each of these awards recognizes a data management professional who has made significant and demonstrable contributions to the information resource management field consistent with DAMA International’s vision. This program is designed to promote awareness of the contribution individuals have made to the four specific areas of data management:
- Academic Achievement Award
- DAMA Community Award
- Government Achievement Award
- Professional Achievement Award
Each DAMA Chapter has the opportunity to nominate one or more candidates. Begin considering your nominations for the 2012 time period. Members who want to nominate an individual can download a nomination form from the DAMA International website. Or, they can call or write the DAMA Awards Committee, 19239 N. Dale Mabry Hwy, #132, Lutz, FL 33548. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. The awards are international, given the worldwide reach of data and information management, and the international focus of DAMA and its chapters.
Reminder: Report your continuing education hours, including time spent at local chapter meetings. ICCP Recertification Form
Give us your feedback by selecting this link: DAMA Comments.