Upcoming DAMA Awards
- Academic Achievement Award: To a member from academia for outstanding research, or theoretical or applied contributions in the areas encompassed by IRM/DRM
- DAMA Community Award: To a member of the DAMA community who has gone beyond the call of normal volunteer service to enhance the IRM/DRM discipline by providing exceptional benefits to the DAMA community.
- Government Achievement Award: To a member of the leadership populace within any governmental agency, department or other governmental entity for instituting the inclusion and adherence to DRM/IRM principles within government.
- Professional Achievement Award:To a leader in the data management discipline who has made significant, demonstrable contributions to the IRM/DRM field.
Each DAMA Chapter has the opportunity to nominate one or more candidate. Members wanting to nominate an individual can download a nomination form from the DAMA International website. Awards are submitted via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The awards are international, given the worldwide reach of data and information management, and the international focus of DAMA and its chapters.
The DAMA Individual Achievement Awards program has a key goal of raising the awareness of data management’s leaders in each category, recognizing their valuable contributions to the profession. As part of the program award winners will be highlighted in articles published in leading data management journals, appropriate newspapers and on the DAMA International website, ensuring that the work of DAMA International and its chapters will receive increased visibility.
Some previous winners of the awards include William Inmon, Christopher Date, David Marco and John Zachman in the Professional category; Richard Wang, John Talburt and Peter Aiken in the Academic category; and individual achievement winners such as Barbara von Halle, Ronald Ross and Clive Finkelstein.
The 2013 awards will represent the silver anniversary of the program and a celebration of recognition of the contributions of the data and information management community is planned to mark this milestone.
NEW at DAMA Enterprise Data World Conference (For more information, visit www.dama.org)The operative word for the DAMA-sponsored EDW conference in San Diego, April 28 – May 2 is “NEW”! If you are stuck doing the same old thing in the same old way, here is a chance to hear about some NEW techniques and technologies and take your career to a NEW level. We have exciting NEW speakers and both old and NEW sponsors who will demonstrate the latest software tools for you. Want to be certified as a Data Management Professional? DAMA, through the ICCP has classes that lead to CDMP certification right at the conference and there are NEW specialty exams such as the Zachman Enterprise Framework 2, the Systems Security, and the Business Intelligence and Analytics Management exam. Even the ICCP website is NEW, check it out!
Here are just a few of the newest topics: Data Integration Best Practices and New Technologies; Big Data Analysis with the R Language; Hadoop and Big Data Technologies; NoSQL and New Database Technologies; Integrating BIG Data Analytics into the Enterprise; Cloud-Based Data; and Data Science Best Practices. Want more? Go to www.dataversity.net for the agenda which lists 120 speakers and other events.
The best part of EDW is that all your DAMA colleagues will be there to network and share their expertise. Contact Cathy Nolan at email@example.com with any questions.
Enterprise Data World, April 28-May 2, San Diego, CA
- Join us at Enterprise Data World, the Official Annual Symposium for DAMA Members!
- World’s most comprehensive educational event about data and information management, presents a diverse schedule of programming that addresses every level of proficiency, including keynotes, workshops, tutorials, case studies, and discussions.
- Many topics from Data Fundamentals to Cutting-Edge Big Data Case Studies, Information Quality and Stewardship to Enterprise Information Management, as well as MDM, Data Modeling, and Governance. EDW now offers a DAMA track!
- All sessions qualify attendees for ICCP professional education credits. ICCP examinations for the Certified Data Management Professional (CDMP) will also be held at the conference.
- Membership Benefit: $250 Discount (code DAMA428)
- Register 4, get 5th free
DAMA International is a not-for-profit, vendor independent association of technical and business professionals dedicated to advancing the concepts and practices for data resource management and enterprise information. The primary purpose of DAMA International is to promote the understanding, development and practice of managing data and information to support business strategies. DAMA International has chapters and members throughout the world.
- DAMA membership provides you with a network of data management professionals who share ideas and solutions to some of the most difficult issues in data management.
- DAMA Chapters provide cost-effective and local ongoing training hours that can apply to re-certification requirements by the Institute for Computing Professionals for Certified Data Management Professional (CDMP) and Certified Business Intelligence Professional (CBIP) designations.
- Chapter members receive vendor and training discounts provided to DAMA International by selected vendors and publishers.
- Chapters may bulk purchase DAMA International products such as the DAMA Dictionary and the DAMA Data Management Body of Knowledge at discounted rates at DAMA-DMBOK.
If you are interested in data management, we want to meet you and help you grow in your chosen profession! To find a local DAMA chapter, go to the main website at www.dama.org and select Chapter.
Contributing Authors: Anne Marie Smith, Ethical Practices and Governance Advisor and Cathy Nolan, VP Conference Services, DAMA International. This article compiled by Lisa Nelson, VP Communications, DAMA International.