Welcome to DAMA Corner, a source of information for data management professionals, people interested in learning about data administration and data management disciplines and best practices. Each column provides an update on the professional organization, DAMA International, the premier organization for data professionals. This is an opportunity to share your experience with other professionals passionate about data! Your interest and participation is greatly appreciated. If you are not a current member of DAMA, see About DAMA at the end of this article to learn more about others with the same interests you have and for information on how to become a member.
DAMA Foundation Websites and Student Scholarship Program
DAMA Foundation, the Education and Research 501c3 affiliate of DAMA International, has launched two new websites and is now accepting online donations. The two websites are the DAMA Foundation and Why Data Management sites:
- The new DAMA Foundation website launches along with the ability to accept online donations (a donation form must be filled out) and a new Student Scholarship Fund awarding a $500 scholarship.
- Why Data Management is an informational website devoted to helping anyone learn more about data management as a profession and a career.
The DAMA Foundation incorporated in Washington State in 2004. It was approved for its 501c3 charitable status by the US IRS in 2008, registered as a charity in the state of WA #602-388-362. DAMAF, the Research and Education affiliate of DAMA International has a mission to promote professional data management by fund raising and strategic funds placement.
- President’s Message
- Online Donation Form and PayPal
- Building for the Future – Scholarship
- Student Scholarship Application
The strategic direction established is to Lead The Data Management Profession Toward Maturity though:
- Providing financial assistance for education and research in the data management profession, including graduate and post-graduate academic activities.
- Funding efforts for the establishment of data management curricula within educational facilities at all levels.
All moneys will be used for and development programs and fundraising as well as general Foundation operations, in accordance with IRS regulations. Monetary tax deductable gifts other than the online PayPal option, may be sent to:
P.O. Box 445
Granger, IN U.S.A. 46530-0445
DAMA News and Updates
Enterprise Data World 2012 Atlanta, Georgia was the setting of this year’s Enterprise Data World, April 29-May 3rd. This exciting event was the gathering of DAMA members world wide and the world’s most comprehensive educational event about data and information management. Join us next year for this premier data management annual event!
DAMA News: Welcome TURKEY’s Inaugural DAMA Event
Congratulations DAMA Turkey, on your inaugural event held in Istanbul, Asia on Monday, March 26, 2012. Speakers included DAMA International President Peter Aiken. DAMA Turkey website is: http://www.damaturkey.org/
Data Governance Conference, San Diego, CA, June 25-28, 2012
DAMA $100 Discount, Register by May 18 for Early Bird Discount $100, Free Book First 100 Paid Registrants: World’s largest conference dedicated to data and information quality and data governance; 6 conference tracks, 15 tutorials, evening how-tos, networking forums and more than 30 case studies.
DMBOK-DAMA Guide to the Data Management Body of Knowledge
The best way to buy the DMBOK is directly from the publisher. DAMA gets the best royalty deal this way. DAMA-DMBOK is available in both print and electronic medium, from Technics Publications publisher’s website:
You can download the DAMA-DMBOK along with the DAMA Dictionary: Instant download, CD-ROM, Print Edition, Enterprise Editions
Publisher of the Take IT With You Series® Purchase both the DAMA Guide to the Data Management Body of Knowledge and the DAMA Dictionary of Data Management for $74.95 which is 25% off!
DAMA International is a not-for-profit, vendor independent association of technical and business professionals dedicated to advancing the concepts and practices for data resource management and enterprise information. The primary purpose of DAMA International is to promote the understanding, development and practice of managing data and information to support business strategies. DAMA International has chapters and members throughout the world.
- DAMA membership provides you with a network of data management professionals who share ideas and solutions to some of the most difficult issues in data management.
- DAMA Chapters provide cost-effective and local on-going training hours that can apply to re-certification requirements by the Institute for Computing Professionals for Certified Data Management Professional (CDMP) and Certified Business Intelligence Professional (CBIP) designations.
- Chapter members receive vendor and training discounts provided to DAMA International by selected vendors and publishers.
- Chapters may bulk purchase DAMA International products such as the DAMA Dictionary and the DAMA Data Management Body of Knowledge at discounted rates at DAMA-DMBOK.
If you are interested in data management, we want to meet you and help you grow in your chosen profession!
To find a local DAMA chapter, go to the main website at www.dama.org and select Chapter.