Welcome to DAMA Corner, a source of information for data management professionals here in TDAN, the industry leading publication for people interested in learning about data administration and data management disciplines and best practices. Each column provides an update on the professional organization DAMA International, and an opportunity to share your experience with other professionals that are passionate about data!
Your interest and participation is greatly appreciated. If you are not a current member of DAMA, please read the following section to learn about others with the same interests that you have. But if you know us, please proceed on to the Update.
About DAMADAMA International is a not-for-profit, vendor independent association of technical and business professionals dedicated to advancing the concepts and practices for data resource management and enterprise information. The primary purpose of DAMA International is to promote the understanding, development and practice of managing data and information to support business strategies. DAMA International has chapters and members throughout the world.
- DAMA membership provides you with a network of data management professionals who share ideas and solutions to some of the most difficult issues in data management.
- DAMA Chapters provide cost-effective and local ongoing training hours that can apply to re-certification requirements by the Institute for Computing Professionals for Certified Data Management Professional (CDMP) and Certified Business Intelligence Professional (CBIP) designations.
- Chapter members receive vendor and training discounts provided to DAMA International by selected vendors and publishers.
- Chapters may bulk purchase DAMA International products such as the DAMA Dictionary and the DAMA Data Management Body of Knowledge at discounted rates.
If you are interested in data management, we want to meet you and help you grow in your chosen profession! To find a local DAMA chapter, go to the main website at www.dama.org and select Chapter.
We welcome you to join our conversation in this LinkedIn DAMA International group. General topics of interest are posted in this group, but we also have subgroups that are focused on individual topics. Please take a few minutes to review our subgroups to see if any would be of interest to you. Many of them are industry verticals.
Also we invite you to look at the local chapter list to see whether there is an opportunity for you to join us in person!
UpdateDAMA International in the News:
Peter Aiken, president of DAMA International, received the 2010 International Stevens Award on October 13 at the 17th Annual Working Conference on Reverse Engineering in Beverly, MA. He received the award in recognition of his “evangelism of data reverse engineering and data-focused software development techniques and methods.” The Stevens Award is given annually in recognition of outstanding contributions to the literature or practice of methods for software and systems development. Aiken delivered the Stevens Award Lecture as the keynote speaker at the conference. His talk, “The Starting Point isn’t the Beginning: How Data Reengineering Changes IT,” highlighted three important ways his research has contributed to the IT profession:
- How applying formalized data reverse engineering can contribute in numerous ways to legacy systems reengineering/modernization.
- How the application of Carnegie Mellon’s SEI-CMM model could be used to objectively determine the maturity of organizational data management practices.
- How these formal methods and measures can be used to reduce organizational IT project risk.
The DAMA Guide to the Data Management Body of KnowledgeThere are new language versions of the both DAMA-DMBOK framework paper and full guide published an in development.
Chapter News from Around the World
Map from University of Alabama
Note: Google Translate works well on non-English sites
Annual NewsDAMA International Board Elections
Current and past DAMA Board members are eligible to run for the DAMA International Board if nominated by their chapter. The positions for the term 2011-2013 are:
- Chapter Services
- Conference Services
- Industry Services
Details for the election process and descriptions of the board positions are available at Elections to the Board of Directors. Every chapter should look for the upcoming notices including candidates that have been put forward for the offices.
Individual Achievement Awards
DAMA International is continuing to accept nominations for DAMA Individual Achievement Awards for 2011 to be awarded at the 2011 Enterprise Data World conference, scheduled for Chicago, Illinois, April 3-7. Each of these awards recognizes a data management professional who has made significant and demonstrable contributions to the information resource management field consistent with DAMA International’s vision. This program is designed to promote awareness of the contribution individuals have made to the four specific areas of data management:
- Academic Achievement Award
- DAMA Community Award
- Government Achievement Award
- Professional Achievement Award
Each DAMA Chapter has the opportunity to nominate one or more candidates. Members who want to nominate an individual can download a nomination form from the DAMA International website. Or, they can call or write the DAMA Awards Committee, 19239 N. Dale Mabry Hwy, #132, Lutz, FL 33548. Email: email@example.com. The awards are international, given the worldwide reach of data and information management, and the international focus of DAMA and its chapters.
Give us your feedback by selecting this link: DAMA Comments.