DAMA International is busy with many activities. As 2013 ends, in this final quarter we are busy working on DAMA-International board elections, a new and improved Chapter affiliations agreement, DMBOK2 and several new collaborations with our partners to Data Management-related conferences with new DAMA member discounts.
From Big Data to Data Modeling, this year has included many new and exciting seminars. As the autumn season closes, it is at this time we turn your attention to one of our most exciting and integral contributions to our Data Management members. This is our prestigious DAMA Awards. This is the call for nominations for our annual Data Management Award recipients.
From its inception in 1989 through to 2002, the DAMA Individual Achievement Awards have recognized a data professional who has made significant, demonstrable contributions to the information resource management industry consistent with DAMA International’s vision. Beginning in 2003, DAMA created additional categories to recognize more people who have made special contributions to the world of data management. The awards categories are:
Academic Achievement Award: To a member from academia for outstanding research or theoretical contributions in the area of IRM/DRM
DAMA Community Award: To a member of the DAMA community who has gone beyond the call of volunteer service to enhance the efforts of providing exceptional benefits to the DAMA Membership.
Government Achievement Award: To a member of the leadership populace for instituting the inclusion and adherence to DRM/IRM principles.
Professional Achievement Award: To a member from the “industry” (business, discipline, specialist) who has made significant, demonstrable contributions to the IRM/DRM.
In 2002, a special Lifetime Achievement and Contribution Award was presented to John Zachman.
The 2013 timeline for the award process:
- November: nominations by chapter boards of directors
- December: voting by chapter boards of directors
- March / April: announcement of the winner at the annual DAMA International Symposium
For more information contact the chair of the awards committee, via Awards@dama.org. Individuals who would like to participate in the nomination and voting process are urged to contact the board of their local chapter, to submit a candidate’s name, biography and accomplishment statement for consideration.
The Data Management Hall of Fame
Following is a listing of our Data Management Past Award Recipients:
Academic: Elizabeth Pierce, University of Arkansas
Community: Deborah Henderson
Government: Kevin Kirby, EPA
Professional: Alec Sharp
Academic: Eva Smith
Professional: Jaylene McCandlish
Government: Glenn Thomas
Community: Mark Mosley
Upcoming DAMA Endorsed Conferences: (For more information, visit www.dama.org.)
Enterprise Data and Business Intelligence Conference Europe
November 4-6, 2013, London, UK
- Europe’s most authoritative and independent conferences on Enterprise Data and Business Intelligence
- Choose from 5 conference tracks, 20 case studies and 16 pre-conference workshops, with over 65 sessions
- Learn from leading practitioners, gain fresh insight and inspiration and network with your peers. Exhibition featuring the foremost vendors in Data Management, Information Quality and DW/BI
- Membership Benefit: 10% Discount (code DMI10)
- Group Booking Discounts: 2-3 Delegates – 10%; 4-5 Delegates – 20%, 6+ Delegates – 25%
Data Governance Winter Conference
November 18-20, 2013, Fort Lauderdale, Florida
- Practitioner-led conference to help you get started, or continuously manage and improve your governance and stewardship initiatives
- 7 NEW tutorials, including a dedicated day on MDM and Data Stewardship
- Membership Benefit: $150 off (code DAMA1118)
- Group Booking Discounts: Register 2, 3rd attendee is free
Australian Data Management Conference
November 18-21, 2013, Melbourne, Australia
- Practitioner-led, vendor independent conference by and for data professionals
- Three conferences for the price of one: co-located with DW-BI and EA conferences
- Membership Benefit: 10% off
- Discount Code: (code DAMA2013)
DAMA International is a not-for-profit, vendor independent association of technical and business professionals dedicated to advancing the concepts and practices for data resource management and enterprise information. The primary purpose of DAMA International is to promote the understanding, development and practice of managing data and information to support business strategies. DAMA International has chapters and members throughout the world.
- DAMA membership provides you with a network of data management professionals who share ideas and solutions to some of the most difficult issues in data management.
- DAMA Chapters provide cost-effective and local on-going training hours that can apply to re-certification requirements by the Institute for Computing Professionals for Certified Data Management Professional (CDMP) and Certified Business Intelligence Professional (CBIP) designations.
- Chapter members receive vendor and training discounts provided to DAMA International by selected vendors and publishers.
- Chapters may bulk purchase DAMA International products such as the DAMA Dictionary and the DAMA Data Management Body of Knowledge at discounted rates at DAMA-DMBOK.
- If you are interested in data management, we want to meet you and help you grow in your chosen profession! To find a local DAMA chapter, go to the main website at www.dama.org and select Chapter.
DAMA Corner article compiled by Lisa Nelson, VP Communications, CDMP, DAMA International.