As the Information Management discipline garners increased visibility and the number of practitioners in the field grows, the need for formal education expands. To address this need, DAMA
International supports two certificate programs in Data Resource Management. These non-profit programs are:
- Institute for Certification of Computing Professionals (ICCP) Certificate Program
- Distance Learning – Data Resource Management (DRM) Certificate Program – from the University of Washington (Seattle)
Following is a description of each program and its requirements and objectives:
Institute for Certification of Computing Professionals (ICCP)
The ICCP certificate program consists of experienced-based tests. An ICCP Certificate designation is conferred upon anyone who meets all the following requirements:
- Passing the examinations
- Meeting the experience requirement of 48 months of full-time work in computer-based information systems (excluding clerical, data entry and classroom work). A total of 24 months of credit may
be given for Bachelor degrees in related fields.
- Signing the compliance agreement with the Code of Ethics, Conduct and Good Practice
The Institute confers these designations:
- Certified Computing Professional (CCP) – after passing the Core examination and two specialty examinations
- Associate Computing Professional (ACP) – for new college graduates
- Proficiency Certificate – after passing one specialty examination such as the Data Resource Management examination, demonstrating competency in a specific area. Proficiency exams may be
credited toward the CCP and ACP designations. A team from DAMA International developed the DRM examination in 1993.
For more information, visit the ICCP web site at www.iccp.org. To receive information such as brochures, application forms and study guides, contact the ICCP via
phone at (800) U-GET-CCP, or (847) 299-4227. The ICCP email address is email@example.com; the mailing address for ICCP is:
2200 East Devon Avenue, Suite 247
Des Plaines, IL 60018
To view the outline of the Data Resource Management examination, visit the DAMA Chicago web site at www.damachicago.org.
Distance Learning Data Resource Management (DRM)
Certificate Program from the University of Washington (Seattle)
The University of Washington is developing a distance learning program in Data Resource Management. The university plans to offer training/education to anyone who is either new to the field of DRM
or is seeking advanced skills, regardless of their location. This program is scheduled to begin in January 1999. Graduates will earn a non-credit certificate in Data Resource Management.
For admission to this program, candidate must have one of the following:
- A baccalaureate degree in a field related to computing or information management
- Completion of at least two years of college and four years of work experience in data administration, programming, engineering, computer science or business administration
- A letter of application describing:
- Relevant work experience and/or transferable skills or knowledge
- Experience in team and collaborative work environments
- Expectations of program benefits for persona and professional goals
The university plans to offer courses via several media to enable distance learning. Individuals may apply to the entire program, or, if their resume shows professional data resource management
experience, they may enroll in a single course. Many of the proposed instructors are DAMA members, and one of program’s advisors, John Zachman, is a DAMA International Advisor.
Tentative course offerings are:
- First Term: Strategic Enterprise Modeling, Business Data Management
- Second Term: Process and Data Integration, Data Modeling
- Third Term: Data Storage and Retrieval, Enterprise Data Integration
For further information on this new Data Resource Management program, contact Susan Turner at the University of Washington Extension via phone at (206) 685-6404, or via email at
For further information on DAMA International’s Educational Services, please contact Anne Marie Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org. DAMA International actively supports the advancement of data
resource management and the professionalism of DRM practitioners.