DAMA DMBOK2 Announcement*, Event News
DAMA International, the sponsors of The DAMA Guide to the Data Management Body of Knowledge (DAMA-DMBOK Guide), is currently launching the “DMBOK2” project, the 2nd edition of the successful DMBOK 1st edition 2009/10.
DAMA International DMBOK2 effort is currently underway. The new framework white paper was released June 30th, 2012, as draft available FREE at www.dama.org.
The NEW DMBOK2 Functional Areas ‘Wheel’
An Overview of Changes
Knowledge Areas are now referred to as Functional Areas, each has a chapter dedicated to it as in the first edition, all Areas have Sections to cover increased detail:
- “Data Design” is renamed “Data Modeling and Design.”
- “Data Operations” is renamed “Data Storage.”
- “Data Integration and Interoperability” is a new Knowledge Area to highlight its emerging importance in the field.
- “Documents and Content” has changed locations in the context diagram to before the activities that involve integration to highlight its increasing importance as part of the scope of data to integrate, analyze and interoperate.
- Data Governance is positioned as a unifying theory for all Data Management. In addition to Data Governance special position in the DAMA-DMBOK as this overarching topic, Data Governance is also a Section at end of each chapter describing particular Data Governance activities and data governance Environmental Aspects for that Knowledge Area.
- The Functional Areas Context Diagram has changed, adding more details.
- Some topics may also have changed locations (e.g., Ethics has moved from Professional Development to Data Governance) and new topics have been added (e.g., data in a cloud).
- Each Functional Area has a chapter; however, there now are Sections to organize the subtopics within chapters.
There will be a Concordance between DAMA-DMBOK 1 and 2 for readers in the full version of the book.
- FRAMEWORK COMMENT DRAFT – APRIL 30th 2012, comment period ended June 30
- FRAMEWORK FINAL DRAFT – AUGUST 2012
- FULL DMBOK2 OPEN REVIEW PERIOD – APRIL 2013
- FULL PUBLICATION will be available in Q4 2013.
DAMA Event News
Member Discounts off Full Conferences. For more information, visit www.dama.org.
DAMA Member 10% Discount. Data Management & Information Quality Europe 2012 & Data Warehouse & Business Intelligence Conference Europe 2012, November 5-7, London. Europe’s Most authoritative and independent conferences.
DAMA Member 10% Discount. Business Analysis Conference Europe 2012, September 24-26, 2012, London – 4th Annual Conference keeps growing and provides an unparalleled networking opportunity for Business Analysts from across Europe and beyond. Four Conference Tracks, 13 Pre-Conference Workshops, learn from industry experts.
DAMA Member $100 Discount
Data Model Zone 2012 Inaugural Data Modeling Conference, November 12-15th, Baltimore Maryland. This is the Data Model Zone inaugural conference. Four tracks with a combination of half-day and 75-minute sessions on data modeling concepts and approaches on relational and dimensional modeling. Master new notations such as UML, ORM, FCO-IM and how to leverage enterprise and industry data models.
DAMA Member $100 Discount
Data Governance Financial Services Conference, Sept. 13, 2012, New York City, NY. Another New Conference. This is the ONLY Conference dedicated entirely to Data Governance and Financial Services, addressing unique challenges facing financial organizations in implementing data governance, best practices in the financial sector, effective methods for compliance.
DAMA International is a not-for-profit, vendor independent association of technical and business professionals dedicated to advancing the concepts and practices for data resource management and enterprise information. The primary purpose of DAMA International is to promote the understanding, development and practice of managing data and information to support business strategies. DAMA International has chapters and members throughout the world.
- DAMA membership provides you with a network of data management professionals who share ideas and solutions to some of the most difficult issues in data management.
- DAMA Chapters provide cost-effective and local on-going training hours that can apply to re-certification requirements by the Institute for Computing Professionals for Certified Data Management Professional (CDMP) and Certified Business Intelligence Professional (CBIP) designations.
- Chapter members receive vendor and training discounts provided to DAMA International by selected vendors and publishers.
- Chapters may bulk purchase DAMA International products such as the DAMA Dictionary and the DAMA Data Management Body of Knowledge at discounted rates at DAMA-DMBOK.
- If you are interested in data management, we want to meet you and help you grow in your chosen profession! To find a local DAMA chapter, go to the main website at www.dama.org and select Chapter.
* DAMA DMBOK2 Announcement: Authors to this portion of the article: Deborah Henderson, DAMA Foundation President at DAMA and DMBOK2 Sponsor, and Lisa Pazzano, DMBOK2 Marketing Communications Manager.