Published in TDAN.com October 2002
DAMA International Education Support for Data Professionals
DAMA International is committed to the support of data professionals worldwide. These are difficult economic times. Cutbacks in business are prevalent, jobs are difficult to find and keep, and
technology continues to evolve. Against this background DAMA International is increasing the scope of support for the education of the data professional. This includes support for students in
post-secondary institutions, practitioners and employers. Professional continuing education opportunities have long been a central concern of DAMA International, with events and conferences at the
local chapter and international levels. On-line resources suppliment these events. We sponsor certificate and training programs, and through listings, provide recognition of qualification fot the
benefit of individuals and employers.
Where do we gear our educational support?
Typical functions of enterprise information management are:
- Application development methodologies
- Object oriented analysis and design
- Business Process/Activity Analysis
- Business process re-engineering
- Enterprise architecture
- Executive Information/Decision Support Systems (EIS / DSS)
- Information/data architecture
- Information economics
- Information/data modeling
- Strategic information planning and methodologies
- Data analysis and design
- Data and Database Administration
- Data security administration
- Data Quality
- Data resource planning
- Technology planning
- Compilation of International Standards in Data Management (DM)
- List of 100 Universities and other organizations that offer continuing education in data related areas, on our Training Programs (commercially available) and
- Job Listings
- Links and resources to other sites of interest to Data professionals.
- On our home page an eclectic collection of useful statistics on data, its value to business and proliferation rate (Facts you can use)
- Professional certification programs in the US, Canada and Great Britain in Data Management
- A Bibliography of useful resources
Our in depth resource the Guidelines for Implementing Data Resources Management now it it’s 4th edition (April 2002) is now widely held as a definitive work in this
subject area. It is both a primer and a support for practitioners, in the various aspects of DM. With its contributions from thought leaders in the profession, educators now use this as a course
text. It is available though our website or through other online book sellers.
DAMA International has been involved with ICCP certification since 1994 in the development of a specialty exam in Data Resource Management (DRM). With this certificate,
employers can be assured of a standard of professionalism in this area.
DAMAI Committee for the Advancement of Data Management Programs in Post Secondary Institutions:
This committee was founded for the encouragement of data management training in post-secondary institutions: supporting students, educators and programs alike. The identification of and leverage of
cross-disciplinary education opportunities for institutions and alignment of prgrams with our ICCP/DRM exam is one central strategy. Contact VP_Educational_Services@dama.org for further information.
Conferences and Local Chapter Events:
Of course, DAMA International holds and promotes conferences and local chapter events for the continuing education, and networking of professionals. For further information go to our website
www.dama.org or contact our VP_Conference_Services@dama.org.
DAMA International also has a grant support program for local chapter regional speaker tours. Costs are shared among a few chapters, and DAMAI subsidises the tour. This allows increased local
exposure of our professionals to continuing education by thought leaders. For this program please contact VP_Educational_Services@dama.org.